Monday, February 28, 2011

Launceston, Tasmania (1 of 2)

Note: This is not a food-related post.


It is a little amusing to me for I am not known as a person that would do something unexpectedly without giving it much thought. Perhaps I really wanted a weekend escape from the bustling city streets in Sydney.
I booked an air ticket to Launceston after an old classmate of mine, K, has briefly wrote on the messenger that I ought to go over to Tasmania for a visit. I guess I might have surprised him by saying 'Okay' instantly. However, it was a short 2D1N trip to Launceston as I had to work on the Sunday morning.


Launceston Airport via iPhone camera




Mr.K picked me up from the airport and we head to his place before heading out to the city for a walk.
We visited the City Park which is a fantastic place to explore.

Quoted: City Park was once called the 'People's Park', which reflects how the park has been viewed by the people of Launceston since its beginnings. The park was originally developed by the Launceston Horticultural Society and handed over to the Launceston City Council in 1863. 







Unlike Centennial Park, the City Park is considered a small park yet it has a few attractions to keep the people entertain. They are: The Radio Museum (which you can visit for a gold coin donation) , The Macaque Monkey Exhibit and the John Hart Conservatory. I was lucky enough to visit the event that the park has hosted for that night, the Symphony under the Stars.








While K and I had plenty of free time left before meeting up with the rest of his Singaporean friends, we headed to one of Launceston's main attraction : the Cataract Gorge.











While we were heading back from the power station to the entrance of Cataract Gorge, K and I spotted a snake which was kind of blocking our way. When it turned its head into my direction, I freaked out and took a few steps back to hide behind a huge rock. After a minute or so, the snake was nowhere to be seen and we decided to dash all the way up the rocky steps and run for our lives.


Day one concluded by having a barbecue dinner at UTAS with the other international students.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...